Central Indiana Transit Plan
The 2016 Central Indiana Transit Plan recommends improving existing transit systems and creating new ones. The plan is presented in a "Question & Answer" format for easy reference and provides a great deal of information on basic transit planning principles. Unlike other projects you will find on this website, the Central Indiana Transit Plan is ongoing, and the plan and recommendations will change over time as additional public input is gathered and studies are completed.
From 2010-2018, transit planning was coordinated in a partnership between the Indianapolis MPO, IndyGo, and CIRTA, and was referred to as Indy Connect. With the implementation of the Marion County Transit Plan and the opening of the Red Line in 2019, the Indianapolis MPO assumed more direct leadership of transit planning in Central Indiana. We continue to partner with IndyGo, CIRTA, and the suburban transit providers in the counties included in the metropolitan planning area to improve transit options for the region.
- 2010 Indy Connect Formed
- 2011 Transit Vision Plan Created
- 2012-2015 Rapid Transit Studies & Public Input
- 2014 Transit Funding Enabling Legislation Passes
- 2015 IndyGo Forward / Marion County Transit Plan
- 2016 Central Indiana Transit Plan Created
- 2020 Guilford Township Transit Plan Created
- 2021 Urban Transit Funding Transition
- 2022 Northern Johnson County Transit Plan Created
- 2022 Central Indiana Transit Plan Update (In Progress)
View completed transit studies on our Regional Transit Plans page.