TIP Call for Projects
The IMPO receives an annual allocation of funding from the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) to support transportation projects within the Metropolitan Planning Area (MPA). A legislatively approved formula is used by FHWA to apportion funding to each state which then apportions these funds to MPOs. Each year the IMPO goes through a process to determine what projects receive this funding called our "call for projects".
About the Call for Projects
The process to receive IMPO-managed funding is highly competitive. During the call-for-projects local public agencies (typically cities, towns, counties, and transit organizations) choose projects to submit for consideration by completing a data-driven application and committing to locally fund a portion of the project cost. The IMPO then selects projects for funding based on the funding goals of the Metropolitan Transportation Plan (MTP) as adopted by the IMPO’s Transportation Policy Committee, federal eligibility requirements for different funding sources, and on their rank after the scoring process based on approved scoring criteria.
Annual Call for Project Applications
The IMPO holds an annual call for projects at which time local public agencies can apply for IMPO-managed funding. This call for projects will open October 1 and close December 1. This call for projects anticipates awarding approximately $60.6M for construction and construction inspection for projects that will go to letting no later than June 2027. IMPO staff anticipate releasing a list of projects recommended for funding for public review in March 2024 with final Transportation Policy Committee review expected in April 2024.
Supporting Application Documents:
- About the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP)
- Cost Estimating Scoping Form (scoping form instructions)
- Cost Estimating Tool
- CMAQ Emissions Calculator (updated)
- CMAQ Hybrid Bus Calculator (new)
- Guide to Road Safety Audits
- High Crash Intersection Study and Safety Study Map
- Road Safety Audit Landing Page
- StreetLight Data & Access Requests
- Functional Classification Map
- 2050 Metropolitan Transportation Plan Project List
- Regional Freight Plan
- Federal Exchange Program Guidance Document
- Federal Fund Exchange Program Overview Presentation
- Federal Fund Exchange Program Training Video
- TIP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
For updates and involvement opportunities on this program and others, please subscribe to our bi-weekly newsletter, teMPO. The newsletter includes regional project updates, upcoming educational and public input opportunities, and useful regional planning news.