Central Indiana Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS)
The U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA) defines the Comprehensive Economic Strategy (CEDS) as a strategy-driven plan for regional economic development. It is designed to build capacity and guide the economic prosperity and resiliency of a region and provides the capacity-building foundation for different sectors (private, government, non-profit) to work in conjunction with one another to create the environment for regional economic prosperity.
Learn more about the CEDS and Economic Development Districts under "Resources" below.
- 2019 Secure letters of participation from counties and secure funding commitments from the Indy Partnership and the Indiana Economic Development Corporation
- 2020 Discussions with economic development leaders, apply for and receive CARES Act funding for the CEDS, collect and evaluate RFP submissions
- Early 2021 Select consultant and send strategy committee invitations
- April 2021 Project kick-off
- Mid-late 2021 Develop CEDS strategy (In Progress)
- Late 2021/early 2022 Public notice and comment period
- 2022 Complete regional development authority plan and submit to EDA with Economic Development District (EDD) application
- 2023 Potential EDD designation
The Central Indiana CEDS region differs slightly from the IMPO metropolitan planning area used for transportation projects (light blue shaded area on map). The CEDS region includes Madison County but excludes Shelby County. Madison County has its own MPO, so they are not included in the IMPO but is included in the CEDS. Shelby County is part of the Southeastern Indiana Regional Planning Commission, which is a designated Economic Development District (EDD) and disqualifies the county from being a part of this CEDS.
A CEDS is also the prerequisite to designating Central Indiana as an Economic Development District. The goal is the help lead the locally-based, regionally driven economic development planning process that leverages the involvement of the public, private, and non-profit sectors to establish a strategic blueprint for regional collaboration.
- Indiana Economic Development Corporation (IEDC)
- Indy Partnership
- CEDS Resource Library - STATS America
- Economic Development Districts (EDDs) - U.S. Economic Development Administration
- Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) - U.S. Economic Development Administration
- Selected consultant: TIP Strategies