The Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is currently seeking a qualified candidate to join our team for the fall 2018 semester. The candidate will work alongside MPO staff on innovative transportation projects and policy analyses. This is a paid position.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume electronically to Taylor Firestine, Special Projects Planner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted no later than 5:00 p.m. ET, Friday, July 20, 2018.
For more information, please contact Taylor Firestine at the above email, or by phone at (317) 327-3574.
- Assisting, as needed, with the development of various regional plans, including a regional Vision Zero toolkit, the Regional Bikeways Plan, and the Regional Pedestrian Plan, among others
- Research assistance as needed
- Spatial analysis and mapping assistance, as needed
- Document content and formatting assistance, as needed
- Public meeting assistance, as needed
- Completed self-evaluation at conclusion of internship
- Must be enrolled in a college or university with a degree focused on urban/regional planning, public administration, civil engineering, urban design, or related field
- Experience understanding and applying the planning process
- Must be self-motivated and comfortable working with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively to solve often complex problems with many different actors
- Must be eager to contribute to projects that will have a meaningful and positive impact on the Indianapolis metropolitan area
- Excellent visual communication skills are a plus (but not required) using programs such as the Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Experience with ArcGIS mapping program is a plus (but not required)
The Intern will report to the MPO’s Deputy Director, but will work directly with the Special Projects Planner. This position requires independent judgment and minimal supervision; however, the candidate should hold excellent communication skills to work interdepartmentally among key staff to reach project deliverables.
About the MPO
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is Central Indiana’s federally designated metropolitan planning organization, representing eight counties, 11 cities, and 22 towns. The MPO, in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT), and several other state and local partner agencies, plans and administers millions of dollars annually in transportation projects throughout the region.
Check back for future opportunities, or sign up for the MPO's teMPO newsletter to be notified of future opportunities.
Opportunities to work at the MPO will always be posted to the City of Indianapolis Employment Website.