Transportation Planner - Data
Applicants MUST apply online, at the following website:
The Indianapolis Metropolitan Planning Organization (IMPO) is seeking a technically-oriented professional planner, geographer, engineer, or data analyst, for the position of Transportation Planner - Data. The Planner will help support the data support and analytical needs of many of the elements of the MPO's work program.
Under the direction of the Principal Planner, the person selected for this position will be responsible for these specific activities:
- Perform land use and economic forecast tasks using the UrbanSIM simulation model and/or the Cube Land model software package.
- Provide GIS and other technology support for the development and implementation of a Congestion Management system as specified under FHWA regulations.
- Provide GIS and other technology support to help implement Long-Range Planning functions into the MiTIP online Program Management system.
- Provide GIS and other technology support to help implement Pavement Management systems and project analysis into the MiTIP online Program Management system.
- Provide GIS and other technological support to the effort to help reconcile the new INDOT ESRI road systems model with the underlying GIS data sets used for MiTIP, functional class definitions, and pavement management systems (PaMS) road inventories.
- Provide GIS and other technological data support for future Performance Measure implementation.
- Assist in the processing and management of data pertinent to the Indianapolis Regional Travel Demand Model, including speed data, traffic counts, and economic and demographic data.
- Provide GIS and data management support for other IndyMPO projects as required.
- Help organize and manage IndyMPO data sets to improve access, understanding, and appropriate use of those data assets. This would include developing spatial data sets (e.g. ESRI geodatabases or Caliper geographic data sets) that increase the effectiveness of data editing and use.
- Communication skills, limited public speaking and some evening meetings are required.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
Bachelor's degree in planning, engineering, or a related field and a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in transportation planning is required. Master's degree may substitute for two years of experience. Excellent writing and public communications skills required. Public speaking and some evening meetings are required
Independent judgment is utilized; the position is expected to attend and support stakeholder discussions and consensus-building. Supervisory meetings will be conducted with Section Manager on a biweekly or monthly basis.
Check back for future opportunities, or sign up for the MPO's teMPO newsletter to be notified of future opportunities.
Opportunities to work at the MPO will always be posted to the City of Indianapolis Employment Website.